Monday, May 14, 2012

My little present to the terrace!

It's another marvellous Monday and I hope you all made the most of the weekend. Here in Granada we had incredibly hot weather, so I spent most of it lying in the sun (and trying not to burn!!). 


Our terrace always had a table frame but never actually had a table, which made drinking a nice cold glass of Cola kind of difficult (mostly, uncomfortable). SO...I decided I needed to make a table. Yes, you heard me. But don't get too excited, it's nothing permanent, just for this summer (as I said I'm planning on buying REAL garden furniture next year). 


This is how the idea ocurred to me: I was sitting on the terrace staring at this frame and wondering where I might be able to find a piece of wood to stick on top of it. Then I thought of how heavy it would be to carry and just forgot the whole idea (seriously, I need to get a car). But that night I was lying on the bed, staring at the empty moving boxes on top of the cupboard and thought: hey! If I'm not moving this year, those boxes are just taking up space, and if you put 3 or 4 boxes together you get something that's kind of like wood. 


And that's what I did!!


I gathered 3 huge boxes from on top of the cupboard, my glue gun (with extra glue sticks), and some waterproof wood efect paper.

I stuck all three boxes together with the glue gun (it wasn't as easy as it sounds, because while I spread the glue on one end of the box, by the time I actually put the other one on top it had already dried!!). But I managed in the end:


 
 After they were all stuck together, I covered the whole thing with the wood-effect paper (also, not so easy).


The problem was it kept unsticking so I ended up sticking it with brown tape. 


 And this is the frame we originally had:


 And here it is!! Our new, kind of warpy thanks to the solar lamp, (temporary) garden table!! 


Hope you enjoyed this weekend project!! 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.