Thursday, June 14, 2012

Household Binder: Cleaning

Back to the wonderful Household Binder, we're now moving on to the second section and it's all about cleaning.
For me, cleaning is a whole series on it's own, so it's only normal it has it's own series: Cleaning Series Part 1

But when it comes to my Household Binder, I take cleaning to a whole new level, and to be precise, whole new level of lists!!

Today I'm going to share with you some of my handmade (on the computer, of course) printables for my Cleaning section. Most of my printables are inspired by CleanMama, so she gets most of the credit. 

- Cleaning Checklist
I already left a copy of this printable in Part 1 of the Cleaning Series, but just in case you missed it, here it is again (you can download it here). You can divide the things you need to get done according to frequency: weekly, monthly, seasonlly. 

- Once-a-Week Cleaning Checklist
Download here.

- Daily Cleaning Checklist
You can't really see it very well so I'll copy the text below. I actually found it in an article on the internet and thought it was quite useful, so I made a printable for the binder. 
Kitchen
Ø  Clear out and wipe down the sink (5 minutes). No piles of dirty dishes! Move them into the dishwasher, and wipe the sink with a sponge.
Ø  Wipe down countertops and stove (1 minute). Clean splatters and spills with a damp cloth or sponge and an all-purpose cleanser.
Ø  Wipe problem spots on the floor (2 minutes). You can save a full-floor mop for the weekend, but use the same cloth (once you’ve finished with the countertops) to quickly clean any spills or sticky spots, which will attract dirt and get more noticeable if left alone.
Ø  Fold or hang dish towels (30 seconds). Even if they’re clean, a jumble of dish towels on the counter can look messy. Take a few moments to fold or hang them.

Bathroom
Ø  Wipe out the sink (30 seconds). If you use a premoistened cloth to wipe your face, swipe the sink bowl and faucet handles with it, too. Or use a washcloth, paper towel, or a product like Windex Glass and Surface Wipes, which don’t leave streaks on chrome or mirror.
Ø  Clean splatters off the mirror (15 seconds). Got foamy toothpaste spray on the mirror? Do a quick swipe with the same cloth you used on the sink.
Ø  Wipe the toilet seat and rim (15 seconds). Same cloth! Just do the toilet last.
Ø  Swoosh the toilet bowl with a brush (15 seconds). If you see a ring, give it a quick scrub.
Ø  Squeegee the shower door (30 seconds). Wipe down glass doors to remove water droplets that can cause spotting. No squeegee? Use a dry towel.
Ø  Spray the shower and curtain liner with a shower mist (15 seconds). A quick spray with a daily cleanser will reduce buildup of mildew and soap scum.

Bedroom
Ø  Make your bed (2 minutes). Even a fluffy down comforter pulled up over messy sheets will look polished.
Ø  Fold or hang clothes and put away jewelry (4 minutes). Even better: Resist the urge to toss them somewhere in the first place! Put them away as you take them off.
Ø  Straighten out the night-table surface (30 seconds). Take last night’s water glass to the kitchen, stow your reading glasses in a drawer, and straighten books or magazines.

Living Room
Ø  Tidy the sofa (2 minutes). It’s likely the focus of the room, so neaten it. Fluff the pillows and fold the throws.
Ø  Pick up crumbs with a handheld vacuum (1 minute). Concentrate on surfaces in plain sight: sofa cushions, coffee table, and rugs in the middle of the room. Look for dust bunnies, too.
Ø  Wipe tables and spot-clean cabinets where you see fingerprints (1 minute). Use a microfiber cloth or a Swiffer cloth to pick up dust. If the surfaces are streaked or sticky, use a moist cloth.
Ø  Straighten coffee table books and magazines (2 minutes). Toss old newspapers and corral the remote controls into one place (a drawer, if possible).
Ø  Clear major clutter (5 minutes). Stash video games, toys, and anything else you might trip over. Put away in a basket by the living room door or stairs. 


- Cleaning Inventory
This will help you keep track of how many of each cleaning product you have, so you don't overbuy things you don't need and to keep track of how much your favourite cleaning products cost =)
Lately, I've been working on some individual checklists for each room, though I think they'll be more for the kids than for me. Cleaning is somethings almost mecanic for me now!!

I hope you enjoyed this post and I look forward to hearing about how you keep track of the cleaning at home!!



2 comments:

  1. Sam, I want to download your weekly checklist but I am having trouble. When I click the link it takes me to the blank checklist...any suggestions? -A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alexandra! Thank you for the heads up, I copied the same link twice by mistake! Oops!! I think I've fixed the problem, I hope the checklist comes in handy =) Stick around for some more spring cleaning checklists I'm working on for this month

      Sam xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.