Tuesday, June 26, 2012

In control of the freezer

I HATE throwing food away. Absolutely hate it. Which is why I try to control the amount of food I'm working with. However, I don't always get it right, so when there's a lot of food leftover I prefer to put it in tupperware and stick it in the freezer. 


I usually keep plain white stickers and a permanent marker in the kitchen drawer to write down what's in the container and when it was made. 


The problem comes when I don't remember if that meal has been frozen and make it again and end up with even more leftovers!! This is why I decided it was time for me to make a Freezer Inventory. I grabbed my computer and Microsoft Office and began creating the perfect form for the freezer. 
As you can see, there's a column for me to jot down the product, the date, how many containers were filled (sometimes I prefer to split the food into individual containers, so it's easier to defrost) and a column to check that product of the list once it's been taken out of the freezer. 

The great thing about our freezer is that it has a sort of "pocket" on the door. I'm sure it's there for something in particular, but we don't use it for anything special so I thought it would be the best place to keep the Inventory. 



I cut out some cardboard and with a clip attatched the for to it and stuck it in the freezer door.  
Now I know exactly what is in our freezer (and how long it's been there!!). 

Hope you enjoyed this post!! See you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.