Monday, October 8, 2012

DIY: Mail Station


I'm back with another DIY creation. This time a bit more complicated than my usual DIY work. I wanted to create a mail station for the entry, so I grabbed some pen and paper and started drawing a design. 
First, I had to decide the measurements: 12cm x 23cm. Then, I gathered all the tools I was going to need for the job:
  • lightweight wood
  • handsaw
  • sandpaper
  • glue
  • paint 


I drew the pieces on some paper to check the size was right.


I transferred the pieces to the plank of wood and cut them out with the handsaw. 


I then squeezed a thin line of wood glue on the edge of the pieces that needed to be joined together. Each joint had to be kept together for at least 30min. 


Tah-dah!! Looking good. But there was still more...



I didn't stick the middle piece to the sides, in case I wanted to move it to change the size of each section further on. There was one teenie weenie problem though: once the glue dried some parts were sticking out...a bit. I sanded them down as much as I could but it still stuck out. I just decided to go with it, haha. 


At first, I thought about painting the whole thing a light blue colour with acrylic paint, but I was worried about visible ugly brush strokes. I decided to just paint the inside white and cover the outside with adhesive decorative paper.





And here it is!! I was so pleased with the finished result I'm thinking about making another one for envelopes and stamps!!



Now all our mail has a place to stay while we put the shopping away or take off our coats (and being realistic, until we can be bothered to put it in it's place!!).

What do you think? Do you have a mail station at home? Where do you leave your mail: at the door or in the kitchen? Do you find it piles up? Comment below!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.