Monday, October 29, 2012

October Challege: Results


Okay, it's been a month since I posted about the October Challenge, here on the Box. So it's time to reveal the changes that have been made.

Like I said in this post here, the steps to follow were simple: SORT and PURGE.

When it came to sorting, the easiest way was to create a folder for each year and in each year, create a folder for each month with the following format XX Month Year, like so:


The next step was to purge. That meant a lot of deleting copies of the same photo or photos that were blurred or not properly focused. The stats I started with were the following:  




As you can see, I didn't have a lot of room left on my hard drive. 

Though the first objective of this challenge was to organize the photos on my hard drive, I also decided to tackle the rest of the documents. In this case, I created a  number of categories (one folder for each) inside the Documents folder, which were the following: 
  • School notes (and other uni-related documents)
  • E-books
  • Important document scans
  • Interesting things to read (things people sent me that I like to hold on to)
  • Home (printables, labels, ckecklists, etc. 

I also created a separate folder for my blog posts and other headers, but I'm saving that for a future post (coming shortly) about how I organize the blog photos and posts on my PC. 

After all that sorting and purging, the final stats on my external hard drive were: 



Big difference, huh? Just with the photos I managed to free up over 3 GB! And after tackling documents, music and videos I managed to free 46 GB on my external hard drive!! Impressive!!

So if you think it's time to buy a new hard drive 'cause you're quickly running out of space, stop and think. Maybe you just have too much junk on the one you already own. Take some time (a few minutes each day) to go through all those documents, videos, photos and get rid of things you don't need. Just because it's not taking up space in your home, doesn't mean it isn't clutter. 

Who else did the clallenge? Were your results this impressive? Perhaps you managed to free up even more space? Paste the link in the comments below and I'll be sure to pop on over!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.