Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pinterest Challenge: Kitchen Message Center

It's here! It's here! It's really really here!! Time to welcome back the Pinterest Challenge on the Box, this time, Fall Edition!! Yahooooo!!!


After organizing the digital files this October, it's now time to get down and dirty with some pinspiration. Sooooo, what did I make this time? The title says it all: a message center for the kitchen. So, let's take a look at the deets...

About a year ago I saw these pics when I first joined Pinterest. (Yes, you heard me, a year ago).




You can see more message centers/command centrals over on my Pinterest board here.

Though I don't have kids (therefore, I don't have school papers or schedule), I knew I wanted a place to keep my calendar and leave notes for Adri. Then a few weeks ago I saw this over on The Organised Housewife:


Bam!! That was exactly what I was looking for. Simple and beautiful. I don't have a pantry door, but I sure do have a spare blank wall in the kitchen that is perfect for that board!!

I gathered all the materials:
  • corkboard 60cm x 40cm
  • monthly calendar (November, here)
  • chore chart
  • empty box for pens
  • card

Putting it all together was relatively simple. First I had to decide what I wanted to put on this message center and how it would fit. I decided to keep a monthly calendar, box for pens, chore chart and take out menus in a pocket on the board. The menu plan would stay stuck to the fridge for now. 
At first I thought I'd paint the edge, but decided against it so it would blend in with the small wooden table in the kitchen. 

I didn't have a pocket for the take out menus to begin with, so I went ahead and made one with some card. Fold card and stick. Simple.


Then I cut out the letters E, A, T to fill in the gap at the top of the board.


From there on it was just stick, stick, stick. And here's the finished result:






As you can see, Saturday is cleaning day around here:


Here you can see what I mean about the frame matching the kitchen table. Did I make the right choice not painting it?


One step closer to an organized kitchen. Let's have one more look:


And that's all, folks!!!

I had so much fun making this project, I couldn't possibly end this post without giving a huge shout out to our Pinterest Challenge: Fall edition hosts!!



Who else accepted the challenge? Love to see what you've all made!!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.