Friday, November 16, 2012

Creating Stations

This week's digging the kitchen theme . On Wednesday I showed you how I organize my tupperware shelf. Today I'm going to tell you all about the wonder of stations. Grab a cup of coffee/tea/coke and let me tell you all about it.

What I've discovered while organizing and working in our kitchen is that cooking and food preparation becomes so much easier when you divide the space into stations. That means keeping similar things or things you use for the same task in the same place. Let me give you some examples.

Coffee/tea Station

I'm a tea person. Adri's a coffee person. But no matter what we drink we can find it all in the same place. We have a wooden tray (the one I decorated in this post here) on top of the microwave. It holds a tin of tea bags, a jar of coffee, the sugar pot and an empty glass jar for spoons. Right next to the microwave/tray, we have our kettle.


Most of the time we keep a couple of mugs on the tray as well  (we were using them when the pic was taken) . Having all the items necessary to make a cup of coffee/tea in the same area, means we waste less time running from one cupboard to the other and can use those extra 5min to sleep a little longer (this would be my option) or to wash up or put on that load of laundry or any other task that may need doing.



Cooking station

I used to keep my oil and salt in the cupboard next to the cooker. At first it seemed like a good place. Until I found myself opening and closing the cupboard door constantly while preparing a meal.
Another thing I started to find annoying was having the serving utensils getting tangles with the rest of the wooden spoons, whisks, etc.

What I did was put all the wooden spoons and baking utensils in a white ceramic pot from IKEA. Then I hung the larger utensils on some simple adhesive hooks. Last, I put the salt pot and bottle of oil on a ceramic dish/tray to keep spills from running all over the worktop.





What do you think? Much better, right?

So, maybe you're thinking of creating stations in your kitchen. Let me share some tips I learnt along the way.

1. Put like things together. A good idea is to keep all your baking equipment together or all the spices in the same place.

2. Keeps things close to where you use them. Spices near the stove, dishes near the sink, etc.

3. Make it pretty. If you like the way it looks, you'll probably try harder to keep it looking that way.

4. If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. Sometimes you'll put something together, it looks great and you're sure it's going to work but then...it doesn't. You may think keeping your toaster on the shelf on top of the bread is logical. But you use that toaster every morning. Is it really worth putting it away in the cupboard every day only to take it out the next morinig? Perhaps its better left on the worktop.

You'll find some more kitchen organization tips over on my pinterest board here.

What station do you have in your kitchen? Do you keep similar things in the same place? Please share in the comments below!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.