Wednesday, November 7, 2012

DIY Twine Boxes

Note: please excuse the yellow tone of the photos. It was raining and we had to turn the lights on inside. No way to get a decent photo...not with my camera anyways. Sorry!

You may remember I made a rope vase this summer. If not, you can read about it here. In that post I mentioned I had a lot of twine left over and was looking for something to do with it. I found all sorts of ideas and my first option was to make some twine coasters. But then I came across this pic on Pinterest:

source
Cute, right? Well, since I'm a collector of empty cereal boxes and in search for a twine project, I thought I'd make my own. 



The materials I needed for this project were:
  • Empty cereal box (you can use any cardboard box really)
  • Twine or rope
  • Fabric (I had some leftover from trimming our IKEA curtains)
  • Glue gun
First I made sure I had enough twine by wrapping it around the box tightly, until I'd covered almost the whole side. Once I was sure I has enough I started wapping it around again, this time using my glue gun to stick it into place. This was the trickiest part, because if you work too slow the glue can dry and make create strange bumps around the box. 

Once almost the whole thing was covered in twine except for a small 2cm section at the top of the box, I took the fabric and started to fold it reapeatedly until I had a good 2,5cm piece that was quite thick (enough to cover the cereal box colours underneath). I didn't cover the inside of the box simply because I didn't have enough fabric and I wanted to try to make it a 0€ project, but you can also try lining the inside. 

This was my finished result:





It is now the proud new home to our 4 DVDS!!! I'm happy to announce they are delighted and the CDs are begging for one too now! =D

What do you think? Do you think you'll be making twine/rope boxes anytime soon? Please share your ideas and opinions in the comments below!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.