Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Organizing Paper Clutter: Receipts

Okay. So after my breakdown post last Thursday and sticking with the Spring Organizing theme, I thought I'd start organizing the paper clutter, you know, to make life a little more simpler.

I spend hours a day among different types of paper: notes, books, photocopies, forms, lists, receipts, bills...the list is endless. So I thought it wise to set a place for each piece of paper and design a system that would stop it invading my desk surface.

Today, I'm going to start small: receipts. That little piece of paper they give you that usually gets stuck in the bag with your purchase or in your handbag (or even inside your wallet). I don't like throwing receipts away because you never know when you're going to have to give something back. Plus, they help you calculate how much you're spending and on what.

I picked up this expandible file, with 12 pockets (blue and white, like everything on my desk). Note: it's actually quite small, though it looks bigger in the pic.


It came with some lettered and blank stickers to label each pocket. 


So far I have 5 categories for my receipts (I'm sure I'll think of others soon enough):
  1. Groceries
  2. Clothes/Shoes/Make-up
  3. Books/Uni
  4. Electronic
  5. Home/Furniture
As soon as I get home when I empty out my handbag, I put all the receipts in the right pocket. At the end of the month, when I'm adding up my "out cash" I can easily see how much I've spent and on what, and adjust my budget to fit my needs. 

That's one less piece of paper to worry about!!! 

How do you organize your receipts? Do you just throw them away? Is your handbag always a dumpster for pieces of paper? Can you think of any other categories I need to include? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!!




3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea!! I usually just stuff them in the kitchen drawer. Thanks for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Found you at A Bowl Full of Lemons' party - hope you have a great Tuesday!

    Danielle
    SewMuchCrafting.com

    PS - I'd love for you to link this up at our Pinterest Power Party tomorrow evening at 5:00 PM {PST}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'll be sure to stop by! =)

      Sam
      xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.