Tuesday, April 9, 2013

When To Toss: Cosmetics

Springtime is a great moment to go through everything in your home and decide what you really need to keep and what may not really be that necessary. With my recent move I discovered I had a lot of...well, rubbish. Useless, most of it. And in with the lot were loads of bottles of creams, lotions, old makeup, shampoo, etc etc.


Here is where I stand back, look at the enormous pile and think: do I really need all this? The answer is obviously no. Not only because I don't really want to be putting all this stuff on my skin (studying Pharmacy and all the chemicals they put into everything sort of opens your eyes) but I just simply don't need it.

And now the fun part!! I made a list of all the things I really wanted to keep (and use!! Only keep it if you'll use it!!):

  • 1 bottle shampoo
  • 1 tub of hair conditioner
  • 1 bottle of shower gel
  • 1 bottle body oil 
  • 1 or 2 bottles hand and feet moisturizing cream
  • 1 tube toothpaste (2 if you're likely to run out pretty quickly)
  • 1 bottle mouthwash
  • Dental floss
  • 1 bottle of face cleanser
  • Cotton buds (Q-tips)
  • Cotton wool 
And I think that's it, as far as bathroom products go. When it comes to make up that's a bit more complicated, because I still haven't discovered how much is enough, but with what I'm gonna tell you know that problem will probably disappear. 

Once I had my list, I had to decide which bottles were going to stay and which were going to be asked to leave. So here's the important part. Do you know when you have to throw out cosmetics? I'm sure you've all seen a symbol similar to the following on your everyday moisturizing cream: 

Well, the cosmetic lifespan is designated in months (M), i.e. 12M, and may appear inside or outside the jar symbol above. In this case, this particular product should be tossed 12 months after opening (this symbol is referred to as PAO, Period After Opening). 

Back to my pile of old cosmetic products. Those you don't want or won't use, just directly throw them out. Go through the remaining products and toss any open bottles or jars that have been opened for longer than their PAO states. Do the same with all your make-up. If your case is anything like mine, then you'll find you may not even have a problem anymore because most of it is in the bin. 

Now that the pile has been considerably reduced, my next task is to find some pretty and functional bathroom storage for what's left. A new post for y'all coming soon!!!

Do you seem to accumulate creams and powders at home too? What about those pesky/cool sample bottles? Did you already know when to toss your products? Please share in the comments below!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.