Sunday, June 23, 2013

Buying a Slow Cooker

So, I decided to buy a slow cooker. Why? To be honest, it all came down to curiousity. Seeing these mouth-watering recipes online and not being able to reproduce them was tickling my taste buds. Add to that the busy schedule I've had this year and poof! Let's buy a slow cooker.

I ordered my slow cooker about two weeks ago. I went for a 3.5L Morphy Richards oval shape one, with three settings: high, low and medium.


The worst part of buying a slow cooker in my opinion was picking a size. At the moment it's just me, though sometimes I cook for two or three. But as always, I like to see the future me, so I thought I may need a larger size. Then I stopped to rethink. If it's just me now, by the time there are more of "us" this slow cooker might have broken and I'll probably have to get a new one anyway. And then came the question: what if I don't like it? Why splurge more than 60€ on a bigger size when I can spend 30€ to try out the smaller version?

That's the best part of this bargain, I got it for 19,99 pounds over on Amazon.com with 50% discount. They converted the currency for me to euros and included postal fees. A total of 34€. What I said. Bargain.

As soon as I received it, I couldn't wait to open it. It was so shiny!! (Love opening new things, don't you?).


I soon set out to try it out. I picked one of the recipes that came with the cooker: Chicken and Mushroom Casserole. Yummy!


I had to prep the food a little first. This meant frying the chicken tossed in a little flour and added some onions and mushrooms and chicken stock. Bring to the boil and pour into the ceramic pot. 




Cook on medium for 5-7 hours and hey presto! Boil some rice and dinner's ready! 

Excuse the photo, the lighting wasn't great at this hour
I loved how the chicken was so moist and packed with flavour, something you can't get with the regular cooking times in ovens or on stoves. I will definitely be using this slow cooker more often. 

I even created a new Pinterest board just for slow cooker recipes. You can see it here. I even found a woman's page, she used her crockpot everyday for a year! (check it out here)

Who else loves slow cookers? How often do you use yours? Do you recommend any recipes? Like to share any? Please comment below!!


3 comments:

  1. I bought one of these when I was living alone and I use it at least once every week now that I have a family. I think they're a great investment :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the exact same slow cooker! It has lasted me years, so you made a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to know! I was wondering if it would last for long. Thanks for commenting!

      Sam xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.