Monday, June 3, 2013

Desk Update

Hello, everyone!! Long time, no post!

Since I've been absent for a few weeks now because of finals just around the corner, I thought I'd share with you the evolution of one of my favourite spaces and where I seem to be spending a lot of time these days: my desk.

When I first moved into the flat, though the room was big, the desk...not so much. I had a teeny weenie piece of furniture that barely had room for my notes and some pencils cups (though it did have two drawers). Not only that, but the chair was uncomfortable to say the least. I found myself spending most of February at the library just not to have to sit at that table, so I knew I had to update it and pronto!



I surfed some of my favourite furniture stores for some nice designs (and prices!) for a new desk and came across some really nice (and some really expensive ones). I just fell in love with this IKEA HEMNES desk:

source
Beautiful, isn't it? So was the price tag at 265€. Call me crazy but I was just about to go out and spend that much money on a desk when I saw the measurements and decided to check the space I had available. The desk was 1.50m wide and the space I had to offer was just under 1.30. Sooooo, bu-bye beautiful desk.

After some more searching I came across this desk, from Carrefour, that fit the room perfectly, also in white (I wanted a white desk). And at the price of 69€ I was on my way to the store to pick it up. 

source

A few fiddly instructions and screws later, I actually had a new desk, put together by moi (and after 3 months it's still standing!Woohoo!!). 




Wanna see a side by side difference?


Ahhhh, much better! But don't think I stopped there!! Oh, no. For the past three months this baby's been getting some real good TLC, I'll be sharing with you soon in a future post. 

In the meanwhile, why don't you guys tell me what you've been updating? Any new furniture purchases? Do you compare prices online before going to the store too? Please share in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. That looks a lot better :) I'd really like a white desk for our home too, they make the room look bigger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me about it, the room looks a lot brighter too! Thanks for commenting =)

      Sam xx

      Delete
  2. Love the white IKEA desk!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have bought it if it fit...shame to be honest. Thanks for commenting =)

      Sam xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.