Monday, September 2, 2013

Beach Essentials

Happy Monday, everybody!! I hope you're having a good start to the week!

I don't know what the weather's like where you are, but here in Granada this past week it's been getting slightly chillier. I thought I'd be sad to watch the sun fade, but to be honest I'm kind of looking forward to some cooler weather.

Now that I'm back in Granada I don't think I'll be getting much beach time for what's left of the Summer anyway. Even so, before I put my much loved beach items away for the winter, I thought I'd try to stretch what's left of summer with a warm post about what items are a must for me when I head down to the sandy sea shore.

1. Beach bag.

Since we have a swimming pool in the neighbourhood where I grew up, I got into the habit of just carrying my towel, my keys and my phone to the pool (it was only around the corner anyway). However, over the past few years I've been turning more into a spend-the-afternoon-on-the-sand sort of person and usually have to carry a lot of extra items with me: ID, money, book or magazine, sunscreen, sunglasses, food!! etc. The best way to do this is to find yourself a cute beach bag that is big enough to hold everything you need.
source
Mine is actually a tricolor fabric bag, like the one above, with three coloured stripes, blue, pink and green. But I just saw this one and fell in love!

2. Beach towel

Some of you might think this item is kind of obvious, but I've gone to the beach a couple of times with people who prefer to take a large blanket (sort of a beach version of a picnic blanket) instead of individual towels. Sure, more place to sit down but it will still get covered in sand and you can't really dry yourself with it. I prefer a large beach towel (I've tried the tiny skinny ones and it might just be me but I always end up lying ON the sand). Again, mine is pink but I love the colours on this one, kind of reminds me of fall as well...



source
3. Cooler

Up 'til now I'd survived without one of these babies...until this year. When it's just me I don't really need it, but when my boyfriend, my sister, her boyfriend and etc tag along, my beach bag just isn't big enough for 10 cans of coke and 20 sandwiches (obviously, not all of that is for me...).

source
I picked mine up this year at the chinese store, for 6.50€. It has a 15L capacity and for now it's big enough for a 4-person day trip to the beach. I had a picture of it somewhere, though I can't seem to find it. Note to self: take another one and post it!

4. Parasol

My last beach essential on this list is a parasol. After hearing about skin damage caused by sun exposure and premature aging, I traded my me + towel combo for a me + towel + parasol. If there's only two of you, a smaller lightweight parasol is best, if not, opt for a larger size.

source

Again, I'm all about colours when it's summertime, as you can see from this Instragram shot: 


And speaking of Instagram, here's another beachy shot of my honeybunch and me, just because it makes me smile =) You can follow me on Instagram here


So, back to things to take to the beach, these four things are what I call essentials, then of course you need sunscreen, something to read, sunglasses and fill that cooler with food!!

I hope you've all enjoyed the beach this year and hopefully, most of you are still making the most of what's left of the summer holidays. I know I've still got almost a month to go =)

What else do you take to the beach? I'm thinking bucket and spade if you have kids, right? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!

 


1 comment:

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.