Friday, September 27, 2013

DIY: Rope Tin

Happy Friday!!! I hope you've all had a great week =)

Don't you just love using things you find around the house to make pretty and functional organizers? I do and today I'm here with another quick and simple DIY project. It is soooooo easy and soooooo cheap to make AND looks awesome! Introducing...Rope-covered coffee tins!


Well, to be honest, in my case it's a rope-covered cocoa tin, but that's not important. What is important is that I managed to make this great organizing ally from this: 


What you'll need for this project: 
  • Coffee or cocoa tin (empty of course)
  • Rope, twine, jute, etc
  • Double-sided tape
  • Scissors 


About a year ago I made a twine box out of a cereal box and for that project I used my glue gun. But to be honest it was messy and HOT and overall fiddly (though I loved the results). 

So this time around I tried a different approach: double-sided tape. I don't know if you've ever noticed how a toilet roll is twisted (maybe I'm the only weird one who noticed), but I used that tecnique to wrap and stick about 5-6 strips of double-sided tape around the empty coffee tin. Like so:


Slowly and very carefully I started to peel the top protective paper off, leaving the sticky tape unconvered. Starting from the bottom of the tin, I wound the rope around it, pressing down to make sure it stuck to the tape. 


Finished result? 


Using double-sided tape was so much easier and it was also a lot quicker. I seriously made this project while watching TV in about 15min (though I had to stop every so often to snap these pictures). 

I originally made this tin with the idea of keeping extra travel bottles or toiletries in the bathroom. So here it is in action: 


Beautiful!! Is anyone else in love with the result as much as I am?? 

So that's another rope-inspired DIY project for ya! Great for fall. You can check out other rope projects here and here

What have you been DIYing this week? Any projects for this weekend? What do you think of rope crafts? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!

2 comments:

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.