Monday, October 28, 2013

App Alert: GoodReads

I have a thing for books. It's kind of a big thing. Some would say it's a good thing but sometimes I seem to not get anything done because my nose is stuck between the pages.

A few months ago I updated my paper pages (much loved pages) for a Kindle. I was weary about that decision but it turns out it was the right one. It saves tons of space (important when you're low on storage), money and weighs a lot less than a 500 page book (aka my average read).

And when it comes to genres, I prefer fantasy. I know most of my friends would (and probably do) say "grow up", but there's something about fantasy fiction that I can't get enough of. And I'm always looking for a new book to read.

I just finished "The Reckoning", third book in the Darkest Powers trilogy by Kelley Armstrong, and I'd thought this would be the perfect time to introduce my newest favourite app: GoodReads.


While reading an article I found on the net about things people in their twenties should know, they recommended we read less tweets and more books. This is something I completely agree with. With this recommendation, the article also mentioned an app.

GoodReads is a social network for readers. You can find reviews and ratings, and keep a bookshelf of books you'd like to read, have read and are currently reading. But my favourite feature are the recommendations.

When you first sign up to GoodReads the app, you're asked to rate some of the books you've already read. According to your ratings and prefered genres, the app provides a series of books it believes may interest you. You can read the book description and add the book to your "to-read" shelf for further reference, that way you'll have a list to choose from whenever you're looking for something to read.



You can also update what page you're on of any book you're currently reading, and rate it once you're finished. 

At first, I didn't think much of it but after reading three books recommended by this app and having loved all three, it's quickly become my new best friend. It's like having a BFF to help you pick out clothes =D

This app is available for Android and iPhone. 

Read more about this app here

Have you tried this app? What do you think? Do you prefer paper or e-book? Please share your thoughts in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for something new to read. This app seems like a great idea. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Seriously, best app for readers =) Thanks for commenting!

      Sam xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.