Friday, October 18, 2013

DIY Chevron Tray

Happy Friday!!!!! 

Here I am again with another DIY project. I have to say this is one of my favourite projects so far. I am soooo pleased with the result. Let me introduce you to my new chevron tray!!


Those who have been following me for quite some time might remember I first updated this tray about a year ago. A really quick and simple update with yellow checked ahesive paper (read here). But let's face it, it was simple and boring. This tray had so much potential. So I cracked out the paint!

I gave the whole thing a few coats (quite a few to be honest) of white acrylic paint and let it dry completely. 


After deciding on a chevron pattern, I drew the pattern on the tray (using a ruler and a bit of math) and taped it out.



My idea was originally a light grey-white chevron pattern. And when I started painting I did notice the grey was a little darker than I expected. But I went with it...



As you can see in the picture below, it turned out to be quite a dark grey after a few coats. It needed quite a few coats to cover completely. 


When the paint was dry, I peeled off the tape, leaving relatively straight lines, though there were a few hiccups I had to correct afterwards. 



And this was my finished result!!


I am so in LOVE with it!

As you can see in the picture below, the tube of paint was a much lighter grey. It will teach me to pick up a lighter colour next time, though I'm not upset about the results. 


So there you have it! A new look for an old tray. And for under 2€. 

If you saw my Apple Crumble post the other day you've seen it in action already. 


I am so pleased with the result and am definitely going to think about repainting things more often!

What I would like to do is cover the tray with contact paper so it doesn't get damaged with any possible spills. 

What do you think about this project? Have you been DIYing lately too? Please share in the comments below!!

1 comment:

  1. I like this project, you´ve dedicated a lot of time to it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.