Wednesday, October 30, 2013

More Desk Drawers

Jeez, you guys must be thinking "doesn't she ever get tired of posting about her desk?". As you might have guessed the answer is no. Which is why today I'm here to share a quick project I tackled this week that involves the one and only drawer my desk has.

Look how beautiful it is on the outside! (Pssst! I already bought a knob for it and it's going on this week!!)


Well, it was about time the inside got some TLC too. Let me give you a peek at what the drawer looked like before I started:


Some would say it's not that bad. Everything more or less has a place...or so you would think. So let me tell you what is (was!) wrong with this drawer: 
  • First of all, it's cramped. There is just too much in there. So first on the list: purge!
  • Next up, it's a visual overload. I'm all for baskets and bins when it comes to organizing, but in this case between that bright green and the hot pink my eyes kinda hurt. 
  • And let's face it: size matters. Those baskets are way too big, if you look closely, I stuck a piece of cardboard to divide two different spaces. 
  • Most importantly, it just didn't make me smile. 
So, it was time to pick up some cardboard boxes. I've been building quite a collection lately of empty biscuit and cereal boxes just for drawer projects. I wouldn't open that cupboard if I were you...

When it comes to organizing drawers, I've found these empty boxes are the perfect solution. You can even cut them down to size if they don't fit perfectly and in some cases you can cover them in pretty paper. For this project I decided not too. 

I arranged the boxes in the drawer, that way I created sections for different items. As you may have read in this post here, I keep my clips, push pins and elastic bands on top of my desk, so they don't need room in the drawer (hey, it's a small drawer). 



I also labeled the bottom of the boxes so I knew what was going into each one. Since they would later be filled with items they didn't have to be picture perfect. Some may say it's a waste of time, but it makes me happy. 


All that was left was to test pens and throw away the ones that didn't work, scraps of paper, file old receipts and put whatever was left back. Here's the result: 


Ahhhh, much better. 

As you can see, I kept the original "settings" but there are some big differences: 
  • There's a lot less in here now. It doesn't feel as though things are going to start falling out. 
  • It's a lot easier on the eyes. No bright colours. Well, no bright green. 
  • The size of the boxes is perfect, adapted to the items they hold. 
  • It makes me happy =) 


Not bad, I say!

What have you been organizing this week? How do you organize your desk drawers? Please share in the comments below!!



4 comments:

  1. You were right to get rid of those green baskets. Perhaps you could use them somewhere else but the cardboard boxes are so much better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! At the moment I just put them away, but I'm sure I'll find them a home soon =)

      Sam xx

      Delete
  2. Great idea. I love organizing systems and ideas. I would love it if you joined and contribute your awesome posts at my link party at City of Creative Dreams on Fridays :D Hope to see you there at City of Creative Dreams Link Party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do!! Thanks for commenting!!

      Sam xx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.