Thursday, November 7, 2013

My Endless List of Projects

Being a student and living on a grant aren't things that make tackling projects any easier.
If you compare being a student to most jobs, you'll see that when the work day is over, you go home and can (hopefully) relax, whereas a student has the hardest task still to come that afternoon (studying, papers, reading). This reduces the time you (and I) have for DIY and organizing projects.

And when it comes to the grant, let's just say projects aren't free, they cost money too so it's no always easy to start and finish a project to blog about while living on a budget.

However, this doesn't stop my creative juices from flowing and I keep getting ideas for future tasks, when I can make some time and save some money. After all, they do say "If you want to do something, you'll make time for it".

So I thought I'd share some of my plans with you, and as a bonus perhaps I'll get some tips from those of you who have already made something similar.

1. Bench
source

This project is actually in progress already. I have the wood and the fabric. All I'm missing is the batting and the legs (I'm finding it a bit difficult to find cheap legs around here).

This is the fabric I picked out, for 7€/m at the local market. I lurrrrrve it!


2. Headboard


Yes, I know I already made one, but that was for a friend. Now I'd like to make one for MY new bed (I bought it in August, double bed for me!!)

I'm actually thinking about whether the fabric should have a pattern on it or be just one solid colour. The bench I mentioned above will be placed at the bottom of the bed and already has a print so I'm thinking either light grey or beige, solid colour. What do you guys think?

3. Ottoman

source

This is a project I'm not looking to rush in to. Basically because at the moment I don't have anywhere to put it, but I thought it would be a great money-saver in the future. If you could, I'd love some tips for  making sure it doesn't break when people sit on it.

4. Memo board

source

This one's pretty simple. I'm just looking for a good classic wooden frame to paint, possibly white, maybe silver accents, and add the cork to it. Should be pretty cheap too =)

5. Jewellery organiziner

source

Now this jewellery organizer is gorgeous, but to be honest I'm looking for something a little more simple. Think cork board with pretty paper. I already have the board. All I'm missing is pretty paper (I'd like a pink morrocan print) and to paint the edges white. I'm also thinking about a gold edge. Good idea?

6. Herb garden

source

Okay, for this one I'm thinking one long planter, with 4-5 pots of herbs and some chalk labels. Yes, that should do it. (You know I love chalkboard labels if you saw this post)

Six projects I'd like to get done and absolutely no idea when I'm going to get down and dirty. I'll be sure to give you guys updates.

And speaking of updates, I'm not just sitting on my behind all day. If you've seen my Instagram lately you'll know I finally put that knob on my desk drawer.


Happy smiles =)

Do you guys have any tips for me? What have you guys been DIYing lately? I'd love to hear what you have to say so please share your thoughts in the comments below!! =)



2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean. I'd like to decorate my dorm room but I just don't have the time. I love the bench idea by the way (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with all these projects! I'm definitely going to try making that gorgeous jewellery organizer

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.