Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Home Inventory & Excel

At the beginning of this year I published a post about first steps to getting organized. In this post I shared with you a printable I made to keep an inventory of the valuables in your home.

Last week I was going through all the stuff I have in this apartment and decided to make a real home inventory, with everything I own (not just the expensive stuff). I thought about whether it would be best to use the computer or my writing skills and I finally decided to use Microsoft Excel.


The great thing about having a copy of this saved on my hard drive is I can add and delete items as needed. I still keep a printed version of it in my household binder. 


At the moment I have divided the inventory in three columns: room, item and amount. I can add any other columns if need be. 

This doesn't have to be done in a day, heck I didn't. Just pick a room and see what's in it. Make the most of it, though. Check to see if there's anything you don't need, things you can donate or need to be thrown away. You might even come across an appliance that doesn't even work anymore. As you fill in your inventory, look to see if there's anything you have more than one of. Ask youself: do I need that many? If the answer is no, get rid of it. 

This is a great way for you to see exactly how much stuff you have in your home. You could add an extra column with the store where the item was purchased and even the price. You may be shocked at how much you've invested in your home. But, hey, remember that if it makes you smile, it's worth it! 

What tips do you have to stay on top of the clutter? Do you keep a home inventory also? Please share in the comments below!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.