Thursday, September 11, 2014

The Miracle of Varnish

The doors in our home must be about 15 years old or more. With time (and pets) they seem to have lost their luster and were looking pretty dull. So I thought I'd pick up some varnish in a nice dark brown caoba and give them a little love.


I started with the bathroom door downstairs. It's still missing one side of the frame but that's a easy fix.


I took the door off it's hinges and sanded down the frame and the door so the varnish would adhere properly. As for the varnish, I used a small brush for the frame and for the actual door a sponge roller and a tray. I gave it a total of three coats, letting the varnish dry between each one about 30min (as said on the tin).

I was really wowed be the results:




Before doing the doors though, I tested the varnish on a smaller area, in this case the bannister. 



I'd like to do all the doors now seeing as how inexpensive it was to spruce up the downstairs hall with just a 12€ tin of varnish. 

I truely recommend using this easy method to give your home a renovated look for very little money. 

Have you varnished or painted any doors in your home? Do you have any tips to share? Please let us know in the comments below!!

2 comments:

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.