Thursday, April 16, 2015

Blog Sell By Dates

During my blog absence I've been able to observe two things: simple, down-to-earth blogs that suddenly evolve into elegant, sophisticated and professional ones and blogs that decide to shut down for good (with or without warning).

It got me thinking. When it comes to a blog transformation, it can be good or bad depending on the change. If we're talking about a redesign to make things simpler for the everyday reader, such as fonts and widgets, change is probably a good thing. On the other hand, I used to have a long list of blogs on my roll, but over the past two years I've seen many turn into something I can hardly stand. Most of these blogs caught my attention because they were real people, with real budgets, real (cheap) cameras, just sharing their life experience. And now a lot of them are full time dedicated bloggers with expensive taste, complex project tutorials and staged photos I could never come up with. They seem to have changed their whole concept without even realizing.

So, what makes a blog a good blog? Is becoming professional actually slowing them down?

As for blogs shutting down, I can understand most of them. Life suddenly catches up with them and they have to make a choice: the blog or family? the blog or work? the blog or sanity? The blog seems like the easiest of the two to let go. And they will be truly missed.

So coming back to full time blogging, is that really a good choice? Is it a job or a long term hobby? How long can a blog hang on for without becoming boring or evolving into something no one wants to read? When those teenagers that read about make up tutorials grow up, will the new generations be into makeup as much as today or will they prefer a tech blog? When the OCD neat freaks with kids are left with an empty nest, will they still read those budget friendly, meal planning blogs? What's more, will the writer behind the blog still be motivated to write after 5, 10, 15 years?

I guess my question is only one. When does a blog expire?

I'd love to hear your opinions on this topic, if you'd like to share in the comments below!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on Life in Sam's Box!! I love hearing from you guys and reading your opinions and suggestions. I do read every comment and try to get back a.s.a.p. Please note that offensive or unkind words (don't worry, if you didn't like the project, you can say =)) will be deleted.